Saturday, February 25, 2006

Sail More, Work Less...

Breakfast:
Steamed Lobster Tail

With A Creamy Whole Grain Mustard Sauce

And Poached Eggs

The final meal on the boat was breakfast which I was told should become my signature dish. I had originally planned on making eggs Benedict, but learned fresh butter and fresh milk are luxuries on these little islands, and lemons, like the kind we are used to, aren’t easily found either because they are imported… So, I had to alter my plans. I started by making an aioli with egg yolks, white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, my very last lemon which I’d been hording since after we left St. Martin, and extra-virgin olive oil. But I used whole grain Dijon mustard, and went a little heavier on the vinegar and oil, so it was more like vinaigrette. I steamed the lobster tails and served them topped with two poached eggs, the mustard sauce, a drizzle of truffle oil and toasted baguette. I may have to try this as a starter, with a little frise salad…

The owner has decided to cancel the rest of the trip which was supposed continue on to Bonaire, and my position did not go permanent because the owner is only on the boat three times a year and I don’t want to become a decky. But no matter, it’s been an amazing time and all winter my heart has been set on going to the Mediterranean for the summer yachting season.

When we finished in Grenada I set out to find my friends with the Catamaran. I had an idea of which bay they were in so I hired a taxi and brought a radio with me. As soon as I pulled up at one bay I went onto the call channel and was able to locate them. As luck would have it, I also found my friend Judith from the Crew House in St. Martin, she was hanging out with my friends on the Catamaran too. The captain of the boat Judith works on is allowing me to sail back to St. Martin with them. A straight shot from Grenada to St. Martin would take three or four days (sailing 24 hours a day) but we will be doing only day sailing and stopping on our way up for snorkeling, dinner, sleeping, etc. in St. Lucia, Martinique, Dominica, Antigua and St. Barth. Our plan is to be back in St. Martin around the first of March, in time for the Heineken Regatta; a big party week, and a great week to find a new boat to work on.

I’ll be completing my STCW, a safety certification required of crew for charter boats, on March 6 – 11. If I haven’t gotten on a boat by that time, I’ll head back down to Antigua for race week where chances will be high that I’ll get on a boat heading to Palma, Spain. Antigua is where all of the boats head after the Heineken Regatta, then after race week in Antigua everyone leaves either bound for the Mediterranean or to the East Coast of the United States.

So, hopefully by May I’ll be posting from some other exotic corner of the earth…

No comments:

 
Blog Directory - Blogged